This article will show the specimens for the 2023 NECO Biology practical examination. You will also see the examination area of concentration, instructions, and guidelines on how each of these specimens will be used.
Apart from the Biology practical syllabus, here are how to get the NECO Biology Practical expo at midnight before the exam.
The Neco Biology Specimen 2023 for the practical exam paper is here. The National Examination Council (NECO) Biology Practical paper will be written on Tuesday, 11th July 2023 according to the timetable.
The Neco Biology Practical paper will start at 10:00 am. In this post, we will give out the Neco Biology specimens, and questions for candidates who will participate in the forthcoming examination.
If you are asking if the 2023 NECO Biology practical specimen answers or solutions that are on this page are real or genuine? then have it in mind that is 100% accurate, kindly check the specimen question and analyze it with our answer to confirm yourself.
Funloaded make sure any information from this website is accurate for all students because will understand the pressure of candidates who want success and want to make their parents proud by coming up with good results.
- NECO Timetable
- NECO WhatsApp Group Link
- NECO Expo Midnight Supplies
- NECO Past Questions for all Subjects
- NECO Result Checker
- NECO Practical Specimens
NECO Biology Practical Specimen 2023
Specimen A – Land Snail
Specimen B – Toad
Specimen C – Spider
Specimen D – Crayfish
Specimen E – Spirogyra Filaments
Specimen F – mucor/Rhizopus
Specimen G – Groundnut Seeding (A week old)
Specimen H – Maize Seedling (A week old)
Specimen I – Microscope
Specimen J – Slide (plain)
Specimen K – Pigeon
Specimen L – Agama Lizard
Specimen M – Rat
Specimen N – Tilapia
NECO 2023 BIOLOGY PRACTICAL SPECIMEN ANSWERS
Specimen A – land Snail
Habitat of Specimen A
Specimen A lives in shrublands, agricultural areas, plantations, gardens, wetlands e.t.c
Phylum – Mollusca
Class – Gastropoda
Observation Features that Adapt Specimen A to its Habitats
Lungs – Adapt to land habitat through the use of lungs that take in oxygen.
Shells – for protection
Tentacles – for vision and feelings
Rasp tongue – for consumption and digestion
Foots – for movement inland habitat
Economic Importance of Specimen A
- They eat very low on the food web
- they provide food for all sorts of mammals, birds earthworm e.t.c
- They cause great disaster to farmers crop
- they consume rotten vegetation like most leaf.
Mode of the feeding of Specimen A
Is by Scraping and they mostly feed on leaves and insect
Sex of Specimen A
They exhibit Hermaphrodite / Bisexual (The snail with bigger shells are mainly female)
Specimen A Diagram: Land Snail
Specimen B: Toad
Habitat of Specimen B
Wet/moist/damp land/under stone/damp grass/vegetation near freshwater ponds.
Class to which Toad/Specimens B Belongs
Observable Features That Adapt Toad/Specimen B to its Habitat
– Poison gland; for protection;
– Warty skin; for camouflage;
– Webbed digits of hind limbs for swimming;
– Bulging eyes; for wide vision;
– Muscular forelimbs; for absorbing shock;
– Long muscular hind limbs for jumping/hopping
– Cryptic coloration for camouflage;
– Moist skin for (cutaneous) respiration.
Mode of Feeding of Toad
It’s by tongue Projection, Toads have a long, sticky tongue that they can rapidly project out of their mouth to catch prey.
Economic Importance of Toad/Specimen B
Predator-Prey Dynamics: Toads help regulate populations of insects and other invertebrates, playing a crucial role in balancing predator-prey relationships.
Nutrient Cycling: Contribute to nutrient cycling through consumption and waste release.
Indicators of Environmental Health: Toads serve as indicator species, reflecting the overall health of ecosystems and signaling changes in water quality and habitat conditions.
Seed Dispersal: Toads inadvertently aid in seed dispersal by consuming fruits or seeds and excreting them in different locations, facilitating plant colonization and genetic diversity.
Prey for Predators: Toads provide a food source for various predators, contributing to the energy flow and trophic interactions within ecosystems.
Genetic Diversity: Toads contribute to overall genetic diversity in ecosystems, allowing for adaptation to changing environmental conditions and promoting resilience.
Food Chain of Toad
grass→ dragon fly→ Toad.
Diagram of Toad Specimen
Specimen C – Spider
Forests (temperate and tropical)/Grasslands/ Deserts/Wetlands (marshes, swamps)/ Caves/ Mountains/ Shrublands (scrublands)
Class Of Specimen C
Observable Features That Adapt Spider/Specimen C to its Habitat
Leg Structure: Adapted for specific habitat movement.
Spinnerets: Silk-producing appendages for web-building.
Chelicerae and Fangs: Adapted for prey capture and venom injection.
Body Size and Shape: Varies based on habitat requirements.
Eyes: Adapted for visual capabilities and prey detection.
Sensory Hairs: Aid in detecting vibrations and prey movements.
Mode of Feeding of Spider
Spiders immobilize prey by biting and injecting venom or using silk to wrap it.
Economic/Biological Importance of Spider/Specimen C
Spider venom can treat medical conditions
Spider venom can treat medical conditions
Spiders are a food source for other animals
Spiders are an essential part of the ecosystem
Spider Specimen Diagram
SPECIMEN D – CRAYFISH
Freshwater Habitats, Streams and Rivers, Lakes, and Ponds e.t.c.
Class to which Crayfish/Specimens D Belongs
Observable Features That Adapt Crayfish/Specimen D to its Habitat
- Claws and Appendages:
- Large, powerful claws for defense and prey capture.
- Walking legs with specialized structures for movement and stability.
- Exoskeleton and Body Shape:
- Protective exoskeleton for defense.
- Compressed body shape for maneuverability in narrow spaces.
- Antennae and Sensory Organs:
- Long antennae with chemoreceptors for detecting chemicals.
- Sensory setae for perceiving movements and vibrations.
- Abdomen and Tail:
- Uropods and swimmerets for swimming and stability.
- Tail fan and telson for propulsion and protection.
Economic Importance of Crayfish/Specimen D
- It plays a key role in indicating water quality, keystone controls of trophic webs, and bioindicators of communities or habitats.
- They are a very good source of protein and are very beneficial for human health, widely eaten throughout the world
- The food industry has been upgraded because of this crayfish as it is in very demand for the purpose of health among the customers.
Mode of Feeding of Crayfish
Crayfish use pincers to grab food and legs to guide it into their mouths. They employ chelipeds to tear apart tough food.
Food Chain Of Crayfish
Algae and Aquatic Plants → Herbivorous Invertebrates → Crayfish
Diagram of Specimen Crayfish
SPECIMEN L – AGAMA LIZAD
Class to which Agama Lizard/Specimens L belong
Observable Similarities in Toad and Agama Lizard
Eyes; – (wide terminal) mouth;
Head; – 2 pairs/ 4 limbs/forelimb/hindlimb;
Nostrils – tympanic membrane/eardrum/eardrum;
Observable Differences Between Toad and Agama Lizard
|Characteristic||Toad (Specimen B)||Agama Lizard (Specimen L)|
|Eye Appearance||Bulging||Not bulging|
|Body Shape||Streamlined||Not streamlined|
|Skin Texture||Warty||No warts|
|Webbing of Hind Limbs||Present||Not present|
|Claws on Digits||Absent||Present|
|Body Shape||Short and wide||Long and narrow|
Sex of Agama Lizard/Specimen L
Male (Reasons for the answer are given below)
– Brightly colored with redhead/blue-black trunk;
– Blue and orange tail;
– Presence of Gular fold
– Prominent Nuchal crest.
Observable Features That Adapt Agama Lizard/Specimen L to its Habitat
Limbs: Well-developed for swift movement.
Claws: Sharp claws for gripping and climbing.
Tail: Long and agile for balance and communication.
Head and Jaws: Adapted for capturing diverse prey.
Eyes: Positioned for a wide field of vision.
Skin: Covered in scales for protection and water regulation.
Coloration: Vibrant patterns for communication and camouflage.
Tongue: Long and agile tongue for capturing prey with precision.
Teeth: Sharp teeth for biting and gripping prey.
Jaw Muscles: Strong jaw muscles for powerful biting force.
Sensitive Toes: Specialized toes with sensory receptors for enhanced grip and balance on different surfaces.
Skin Pores: Numerous skin pores for thermoregulation and water loss control.
Eyelids: Moveable eyelids for protecting the eyes and regulating light exposure.
Ear Openings: External ear openings for detecting sound waves and communication.
Mode of Feeding of Agama Lizard
- Sit-and-wait strategy: They perch and observe their surroundings.
- Lightning-fast strikes: Swiftly extend their body to snatch prey.
- Strong jaws: Secure a firm grip on the prey.
- Swallowing whole: Consume prey in one piece.
Diagram of Agama Lizard
SPECIMEN N – TILAPIA
Freshwater lakes, ponds, and rivers/ Marshes, swamps, and estuaries/ Coastal waters with varying salinity/ Aquaculture systems (fish ponds, tanks, cages).
Class to which Tilapia/Specimen N belong Pisces
- The body is covered with scales;
- Presence of paired fins;
- Presence of lateral line(s);
- Presence of operculum/gill cover.
Observable Features That Adapt Tilapia/Specimen N to its Habitat
- Gills: Extract oxygen from the water for respiration.
- Fins: Provide stability, maneuverability, and propulsion.
- Lateral Line System: Detect vibrations and changes in water movement.
- Scales: Provide protection and assist in buoyancy control.
- Swim Bladder: Regulate buoyancy and depth in the water.
- Mouth and Teeth: Adapted for specific feeding habits.
Characteristics of specimen N (Tilapia) that make it culturable
– the ability to breed in captivity
– hardiness/tolerance poor water quality(but not low dissolved oxygen)
– accept artificial feed
– matures early/fast maturity
– acceptable to consumers
– highly prolific/breeds easily/breeds rapidly
– utilizes natural food well/high conversion of feed.
– has high resistance to disease.
Food Chain of Tilapia
Algae (Primary Producer) → Zooplankton (Primary Consumer) → Tilapia (Secondary Consumer)
Economic Importance of Tilapia/Specimen N
Aquaculture: Fast-growing and adaptable, tilapia is extensively farmed worldwide, providing sustainable protein and generating revenue.
Food Security: Tilapia efficiently converts feed into edible flesh, addressing global food security and meeting protein demands.
Employment: Tilapia farming creates job opportunities, particularly in rural areas, supporting skilled workers in breeding, feeding, and processing.
Export and Trade: With high export value, tilapia contributes to international trade, supplying fresh and processed products.
Poverty Alleviation: Tilapia farming helps alleviate poverty, providing income and food security for small-scale farmers in developing countries.
Environmental Benefits: Sustainable tilapia farming reduces pressure on wild fish stocks and promotes environmental sustainability.
Diagram of Tilapia Fish
Conclusion: NECO Biology Practical Specimen
These tools are designed for students to access them online for free and practice the use of each of the specimens before the examination date. For this reason, all NECO students who are offering Biology are encouraged to go through these specimens, study them, and know them for better performance in the examination.
Neco Biology Practical Specimen Questions 2023, Neco Biology Practical Specimen 2023, Neco Biology Practical 2023 Specimen, yellow paper for Biology Neco 2023, Neco Biology Yellow Paper 2023. NECO Biology Specimen Practical Answers,
9. The purpose of the practical Computer Studies test is to know or find out whether the candidates can carry out simple practical work themselves.
” The Examiner is aware that a candidate sometimes may not be able to show his/her practical ability owing to his/her failure to understand some point in the laboratory/workshop, he should be prepared to give such a candidate a hint to enable his/her get on the experiment. In order to overcome this difficulty, you are asked to cooperate with the Examiner to the extent of being ready to give (or to allow the Computer Studies teacher to give) a hint to a candidate who is unable to proceed”.
10. The following regulation must be strictly adhered to:
(a) No hint may be announced to the candidate as a whole
(b) A candidate who is unable to proceed and requires assistance must come up to you and state his/her difficulty. The candidate should be told that the Examiner will be informed of any assistance rendered in any way.
(c) A note must be made, in the Report Form, of any assistance given to any candidate, with the name and index number of the candidate.
11. it is suggested that the following announcement must be made to the candidates: “The Examiner does not want to waste your time through inability to proceed with the practical test after they has spent 15 minutes on it, may come to me and ask for help. I shall report to the Examiner any help given in this way, and some marks may be lost for the help received.
You may ask me for any additional equipment which you think would improve the accuracy of your work, and you should state in your script how you used such equipment.”
Funloaded is here to help you with any of the information you are not clear with or may need an assistant during your Waec stuff.
On this page, we are releasing all the 2023 Neco questions and answers for our paid VIP members at NECO Expo 2023 / NECO Runs 2023 Questions & Answers, and don’t take it for granted.
We update this every day by releasing the 2023/2024 NECO ANSWERS FOR 2023. You can join our forum for a quick answer For Free, NECO Biology Specimen Practical Answers, NECO Biology Specimen Practical Answers, NECO Biology Specimen Practical Answers, NECO Biology Specimen Practical Answers, NECO Biology Specimen Practical Answers, NECO Biology Specimen Practical Answers.
Just be free to write to us in the comment box below in other not to make the wrong mistake but achieve success in the end. Thanks for reading.
For more news updates about NECO 2023 Exam| NECO Report 2023 | NECO Examiner report 2023| NECO 2023 | NECO Examination| Today NECO News…
Kindly subscribe to this page to get an update about NECO News every day on questions and answers, NECO Biology Specimen Practical Answers
Keep following this page and make sure you bookmark this site for reference purposes.